DISCIPLESHIP 101

This blog is designed to be a place where we can encourage and challenge one another as we follow the risen Lord Jesus together!

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

This Love is stronger, and its strong enough for me

While attempting to write a paper for my legal studies class, I opted to turn on some worship music and soak up some of the gloriousness of the Lord before spending some time with the law. Hillsong’s “From the Inside Out” came on, and two lines of this song that is so familiar to me resonated within my heart as I thought about yesterdays reading.

“A thousand times I’ve failed, still YOUR mercy remains…YOUR will above all else, my purpose remains, the art of losing myself in bringing you praise.”

The closing paragraph of our reading yesterday say this, “…and if you fail, Gods love does not. That love cannot be grieved, that love can never go away. It is that love, ultimately, that is our chief weapon against temptation.”

I remember all the times I’ve failed, and when I say fail, I mean epically. I’ve come to realize that in times of temptation, the condition of our heart is what directs our behavior. When I fall to temptation, which usually isn’t anything bad by the world standards, but still causes a great divide between the Lord and myself, I can trace it back to what my heart is following at the time. When my heart is not fully saturated with the Lord, it is so easy for Satan to creep in, or just walk into the front door of my heart, and lead me down paths to destinations that crumble and disappear with the slightest change of the winds of life. There is nothing about that life that is rooted and established and based on a foundation of God’s love. However, when my heart is in a place that understands its purpose, the purpose of losing myself in the ocean of my Abba’s beautiful love and mercy, I am at a place where no temptation can touch me.

There are things in this world that claim to be the strength I need, but Lord remind me to say yes to Your strength, and deny the things of this world that cause my heart to crumble, and turn away. This love, your love, is stronger, and it’s strong enough for me.

3 comments:

  1. I'm right there with you, Kurty, it's incredible to take comfort in how great his love for us really is. Thanks for sharing, great encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I've come to realize that in times of temptation, the condition of our heart is what directs our behavior."

    True that. This weekend at home was "good" at face value, but I didn't even realize until partway through Monday morning after I was already back at Davis, that my heart had wandered so far from God in the meantime. And then when temptation hit, I was absolutely helpless. It amazing how sneaky the enemy can be (and yet so obvious as soon as we open our eyes!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your post. God tests me to His good. I get it all jumbled up but Christ outshines my shadows - always.

    ReplyDelete