DISCIPLESHIP 101

This blog is designed to be a place where we can encourage and challenge one another as we follow the risen Lord Jesus together!

Monday, November 8, 2010

Sadly, it is actually finished.

"Sooner or later we have to come to terms with the "offense" and "nonsense" of the cross. And then we have to resist the temptation to make it less offensive. We have to let the scandal stand; to let the folly stand. To try to remove the final contradiction, as the Church has regularly done, is to subvert the Gospel. And a subverted Gospel is finally no Gospel at all. It becomes only good advice, but not Good News."

I keep waiting around for God's love to make sense or for the cross to make sense, but I realize I'm going to be waiting forever. Although at the same time, the more I dive into it, I see that it's the only thing that does make sense and the only way things could possibly be.

Final contradiction indeed.

The chapter title reminded me of these few lines from Switchfoot's "Golden":

And this final verse is a contradiction
The more we learn, the less we know

True that, Jon.

No comments:

Post a Comment