DISCIPLESHIP 101

This blog is designed to be a place where we can encourage and challenge one another as we follow the risen Lord Jesus together!

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Day 22

"Israel celebrates the giving of the Law of YHWH because YHWH gives the law in order to protect and enhance a life of freedom."

In my second lap through this sermon, I was brought back to Kyle's Wednesday night message this summer. I can't remember any of the verses he quoted, but he used an analogy that stuck with me. If you guys remember, it was the analogy of a ski boat, and how the engine is meant for fresh water. When put in salt water, the ski boat my run for a bit, but the salt will inevitably rust and corrode the engine. What a beautiful analogy, and the fact that this internal turmoil, this unintended functioning, is first hidden and under layers of perception, makes the picture just that much more juiced.

How awesome would it be to just pull runs in the ocean? Just think about it. On the Delta we have to be constantly aware of tides, winds and currents. We have to share the waterways with other ski boats, houseboats, jet ski's and tankers. We have all the space we could ever want on the ocean! No limits! Complete freedom to pull a run and not have to care about anything thats going on around us!

But we aren't meant for the ocean. That's not where we thrive. We might be living carefree on the high seas for a bit, but that engine won't hold up for long. Sooner or later we'll be dead on the water, lost in a sea of our own creation, wondering why it isn't everything we thought it would be.

Instead, He know's where/how/why we thrive. Inside paying attention to tide charts, checking your mirror for other boats, staying in the middle of the waterway, and having a flagger on every banana run, there is true freedom.

That is why we should rejoice in the Law that He has given us. I couldn't imagine how lost I would be without the ground rules laid out during driver training.

At the very same point, after getting accustomed to the law, how easily do we bend/break/ignore it? I can say for a fact that as the summer progressed it became harder and harder to do those little things every day on the Delta. Check the oil, check the belts, check the spark plugs, check the bilge. How easily do I wander as the Israelites so often did, justifying my reasoning for His law not applying to this area of my life, or my way being better than His for my future.

His law is an expression of His love.

DEF

No comments:

Post a Comment