DISCIPLESHIP 101

This blog is designed to be a place where we can encourage and challenge one another as we follow the risen Lord Jesus together!

Monday, November 1, 2010

The IOG

Despite what I thought waking up, neither my; extra 40 minutes of sleep, cup of coffee (read: the sweet, dark mother), homemade cinnamon roll, nor my hunter green sonshine hoodie were the best part of my morning. Pages 76-80 have been the best part of my morning.

The self-sacrificial, servant love that I witnessed and experienced this summer has been the single most challenging part of August-October. I heard Reid talk about the "fragrance of humility" this summer, and the reading this morning wreaked of this fragrance. I don't think I can do it justice by inserting a giant blocked quote with my own emphasis added. Instead, I'm just going to read it again and encourage you to do the same.

"Those who bear God's image are most truly themselves when they empty themselves and give themselves away." Join me today as I'm challenged by what this truly asks us to do- seek and reflect the image of our God.

2 comments:

  1. Willy J - hands down your best post yet! So good to hear your voice this morning via the blog! I can't agree with you more. The challenge of giving myself away never looks the way I think it should. It usually comes in a form of something I feel owed! Serving my wife when I feel like she should serve me, serve my kids when I feel like I deserve a quiet time with god (current situation right now) or serve the congregation I attend when I feel like I serve more then anyone else. Jesus whispers " stoop lower and you will find me". " give yourself away Reid and you will be where i am!" oh willy J is hot right now yo!

    Reid

    ReplyDelete
  2. Willy is very hot right now. Zealous for my freedom, Jesus relentlessly expsoses the infected sin in my heart (usually pride and self-justification.) He seeks to empty me but I resist. My hope is ultimately . . . . Jesus wins.

    I must decrease. He must increase.

    ReplyDelete