DISCIPLESHIP 101

This blog is designed to be a place where we can encourage and challenge one another as we follow the risen Lord Jesus together!

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Day 21

So a lot of this is straight out of Tuesday, but its so... needed. I forget so quickly that the death of Jesus is the "scandal of the gospel, the great reversal of values." The tables have been flipped. Things will never be the same. We will never be the same.

"We are most fully human when we most faithfully copy the nature and character of God." - It is Finished, page 80.

This leads to the question of what it means to be "Godly." What it means to be a "man of God." Lets see what the Son of Man says: "Unless a grain of wheat falls into the ground and dies..." "He comes to the conclusion that to-be-like-the-Father - that to be God - means to live by giving yourself away in servant love."

Another song reference (did you catch the first one?) since I seem to have at least one per post. This one comes from "Show Me" by Audrey Assad

"Bind up these broken bones
Mercy bend and breathe me back to life
But not before You show me how to die"

He has. And He invites us, shows us, encourages us and commands us to do the same. To embrace the fullness of our created humanness by purposing to daily, hourly, and minutely empty ourselves in self-giving, sacrificial servant love.

Reid, thank you for sharing your insight into John 17 over the summer. It's stuck with me, and mostly hangs around just to kick me in the butt on a daily basis.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your post and lyrics. Man you can spot lyrics like Reid tells me you can spot socket sizes. One ringer from yesterday for me was, "The passion of Jesus was not His human misfortune; it was the decisive manifestation of His divinity." I bet Darrell Johnson was pumped when he penned that truth. Thanks again for your contribution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If by the first song reference, you mean "Oh, everything will change/We will never be the same" - Crowder's "Glory of it All", then YES.

    Are you sure you're not auditory?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve, so true! I quoted that in my Day 17 entry, it's an incredible revelation into the intentionality of Jesus. How crazy is it that Him coming down and giving Himself away is 100% Him reflecting and glorifying the Father? He only does what He sees His Father do. And through Jesus we too can see what the Father does. That's amazing!

    Pearl, you got it! I'm pretty sure I'm not auditory, to be honest it just doesn't feel right.

    ReplyDelete