DISCIPLESHIP 101

This blog is designed to be a place where we can encourage and challenge one another as we follow the risen Lord Jesus together!

Monday, November 8, 2010

The Final Contradiction

I'm not sure that I'll ever fully get my head around Christ's humility, but today brought some perspective to my working definition of humility. Johnson's excerpt from the Barclay commentary reads: "In Jesus, they saw one who was meek and lowly, one who deliberately avoided the spectacular, one who served and ended on a cross, and it seemed to them an impossible picture of the Chosen One of God."
We know that Christ embraced humility as he was born in a stable, rode into town on a burro, and died on a cross, but this morning was the first time that I really connected these dots and understood the contradiction of the cross. That excerpt explains that there were prophets who gained large followings and promised spectacular things, while Christ "simply" offered life to the fullest. I guess some could argue that Christ's lowly birth and death were out of his hands- that perhaps he would have chosen better if he could have, but with the understanding of the world's "meek and lowly" perception of him, we see that throughout his ministry (daresay, his prime) he was continually choosing humility. And service. And obedience. And sacrificial, servant love. He wasn't sent to the cross, he went to the cross; it didn't happen to him, he embraced it. He stooped lower. As I take an honest look at the life of Jesus this morning, I don't find anything more attractive than the fragrance of his humility and his capacity to serve me despite my forgetfulness.
In a podcast, I heard Darin McWatters say: Christ's love is the only love you'll ever know that loves you SO you'll change and not WHEN you change. I'm so grateful that I've got a father and redeemer who doesn't find it necessary to impress me with anything other than unfailing, undeserved love.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks K. Willy J. I'm encouraged by your post to receive and dispense "good for nothing" love.

    My kids contribute very few tangible results and yet my heart has so much room to pour energy, time, and treasure into their lives. They bring very little to the table and yet I'm so often giddy with joy to invest in them. Your post challenges me to connect the joy reservoir I have in serving my kids to the joy reservoir that should be alive in me for serving my enemies.

    Here's to love, for love's sake, and love's sake only.

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "His capacity to serve me despite my forgetfulness."

    I often treat God as an anonymous donor. I don't think about why/how/who blessed me, I just take it as my own and use it as I wish. And even when it is so painfully obvious that this or that is straight from Him (as every good and perfect gift is), I can always find a way to pat myself on the back and say "Well done Mike, you earned this one."

    Where would my heart of service be if I knew no one would ever know what I did. If I knew no one would see the hours I put in. If I knew there would be no celebration/appreciation at the end of the year. How do I expect so much recognition for my feeble attempts, gifts and abilities when I can't attribute even the smallest blessing to the One who has given me everything?

    Perspective is fleeting. He is not. His love is not. So undeserved. So perfect.

    Thanks for another awesome post Kyle. This one got me super juiced!

    ReplyDelete