DISCIPLESHIP 101

This blog is designed to be a place where we can encourage and challenge one another as we follow the risen Lord Jesus together!

Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Final Sacrifice - Seventh Day Sabbath Bonanza

In one sentence (because the rest of this post is very weakly connected) - We are not finished and never will be finished until we submit to God's judment which is the cross. Astoundingly when we go to the cross Christ's eternal alpha and omega cry which pre-creates, post-creates, recreates all reality is . . .. "ITS FINISHED."

Keith Green - "My child, my child we are you striving? You can't add one more thing to what's been done for you. I did it all while I was dying. Rest assured my peace will come to you."

Isaiah 26:3 - "You will keep in perfect peace, him whose mind is steadfast."

Collosians 2:14 - "Having cancelled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us, He took it away, nailing it to the cross."

I am not finished until I come to judgment. Judgment eternally disrupts my now through the cross. Its a pretty interesting judgment. Discomfort, disappointment, shame, communion, acceptance, lightness of being, freedom, peace.

I, with creation, am incomplete. I, with creation, groan in travail. I'm stuck in the sixth day. God, my God, when is your sabbath? When is your work done?

It is finished.

"And on the seventh day God finished His work which He had done and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. So God blessed the seventh day and hallowed it. . . . ." Genesis 2:3.

"Let us strive to enter that rest, so that no one may fall by the same sort of disobedience." Hebrews 4:11.

My apologies for the lack of connectedness.

2 comments:

  1. I love that we're talking with all this sabbath language because in my Bible study last night, we talked about the story of the woman in Luke 13 that Jesus heals on the sabbath by straightening her back. And when the Jewish authorities reprimand Him for healing on the Sabbath, Jesus affirms that in fact there is no better day for her to have been healed.

    Just like the woman in the story, we are healed on the sabbath. In light of "It is Finished", we get to live in the sabbath of God's finished redemption work, just like Adam got to rest in the sabbath of God's finished creation work. And the OTHER sweet thing is that God's nickname for Israel throughout scripture (aka Isaiah 44) is "Jeshurun", meaning "made straight". So like the woman, He straightens us out and heals us, on the sabbath, after His work is all done.

    BOOM. SAVED. IDIOT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm. Yeah. So, what I was/am trying to communicate is very much what you wrote. Great, great thread here. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete