DISCIPLESHIP 101

This blog is designed to be a place where we can encourage and challenge one another as we follow the risen Lord Jesus together!

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Simply Christian - Prayer

When discussing translations of the Lord's prayer N.T. Wright writes - "But again, the precise wording doesn't matter. Don't allow the surface noise to put you off." I love the reference to surface noise. He encourages us to get to the heart of the prayer which is about God's honor and glory.

One of my favorite passages on prayer that expresses many of the themes of Chapter 12 is as follows:

Ephesians 6:18-20, "And pray in the spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints. Pray also for me that whenever I open my mouth words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly as I should."

Paul, in chains, with the end coming quick shines sacrificial, self-giving, servant love and prays first and foremost on the Ephesian's behalf and then for greater boldness in making known the gospel.

I am challenged by the chapter to trust my new heart in Christ to freely express poetry, liturgy, sappy love songs, old school hymns, agonizing blood sweating dark nights of the soul, inward groans, and uninhibited dances of joy in a setting sun as a welcomed child with access and assurance (Thanks Darryl) at any time and in any way to the Father.

I know with my kids that as their father I listen to endless streams of knock-knock jokes and playground tales and stories of the lizard they caught and the frog that got away because I love the sound of their voice. They are a horrible source for information and yet their confession of life, love, and tragedy are my life's highest joy.

"He loves to hear us call upon his name." Lyric from Cheesy 70's Worship Tune

1 comment:

  1. Steve, the way you shared your love for your children reflects the love of the Father for his children, and I am truly blessed by it. I always need to be reminded that I am not nagging my Abba, but that he finds pleasure in my dependence on him and even, like Wright said, when I ask irrational questions. He created us to be his own and to call upon his name.

    ReplyDelete