DISCIPLESHIP 101

This blog is designed to be a place where we can encourage and challenge one another as we follow the risen Lord Jesus together!

Friday, December 17, 2010

Not just another book

Often I find myself tuning God out when I read scripture (possibly because I am assigned to read far too much for Religious Studies, and it becomes impossible to process). There are those times when I strike gold, and beg God to tell me more. But, the other times I tell myself the story. Naturally, this happens when I am already 'familiar' with the passage, as though I have mastered it. In any case, I have been blessed by Wright's discussion of the Bible.

Echoing from each topic he brings up is this: Let the Bible do what it is capable of doing.

I took a class this quarter that beautifully illuminated Israel's story, as it placed Paul and the early Christians as actors within this grand narrative. This book was by Wright, which is convenient for the reading of the past few days. I get so pumped when I recognize scripture as a way of offering vocation, since "the Bible is the book through which God sustains and directs those who seek to obey that vocation as intelligent, thinking, image-bearing human beings."

It's not just another book. The Bible is beautiful.

Ephesians 6:13,17 “Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand." "…and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God."

What am I bringing to the battle? Maybe I'm carrying a few pieces of armor, but I certainly see myself has getting pelted into nothing without some sort of weapon. The Bible is "energy for the task to which God is calling his people!" God uses scripture to feed us truth. When we have Truth we have a foundation to stand on (He is the Way, Truth, and Life). The beauty is not in winning debates with truth, rather it is in sharing the liberating Truth that Christ lifts up the name of God, brings God's kingdom, fulfills God's will, offers our daily bread, forgives our sins, and keeps us in safety! Truth! Fact! Count it!

“The Bible is there to enable God’s people to be equipped to do God’s work in God’s world, not to give them an excuse to sit back smugly, knowing they possess all God’s truth.”

May it be hidden not longer within my mouth. May my every action reflect the beauty and love of the risen Lord. And may I count on scripture to reveal the mysteries of God's incredible rescue of humanity. Because, it's not how he speaks through scripture... It is that he speaks through it.

I need to let the Bible do what it is capable of doing.

1 comment:

  1. "I need to let the Bible do what it is capable of doing."

    Thanks for that reminder, Zach. It's so easy for reading the Bible to become another intellectual exercise. I'm reminded of a line from the book we read at all-staff retreat that really stuck out to me: Come to the Word for no reason other than to commune with the person of Jesus Christ.

    So often I just want my daily dose of inspiration or encouragement, but no! I'm communing directly with my Lord and Savior! Soak it up!

    ReplyDelete