DISCIPLESHIP 101

This blog is designed to be a place where we can encourage and challenge one another as we follow the risen Lord Jesus together!

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Reaffirmation of God's goodness

I love that Darrell starts out each part of this sermon series the same way, reaffirming the good law coming from the good God. Throughout this journey we've been on together, two things have really stood out about God's character. The first of which is that Yahweh, when considering what it meant to be perfectly good, all powerful, life sustaining God of the universe; knows that it is not his character to be passively worshiped because of his position. But, rather, his position innately puts him in a position of service to creation. The natural way for Him to express His godliness was in a water basin, a towel, and a cross!
The second thing that has been sticking with me is that God gave us commandments to protect and enhance our lives, our relationship with Him, and our relationship with His world. I have loved seeing my heart genuinely change from the first sermon "Jealous for our Freedom" to today. As we journey through each commandment, I find myself more and more convinced that the bolded statement above is true. The very first sermon, I remember tuning out most of the scripture reading, because I had grown up hearing all about the "thou shalt nots". As we now go through each of the commandments, however, I find myself reflecting on all the previous ones as the scripture is read, and find myself screaming "YES" with each as they pass. God is good, and he fully understands the human condition, he is Yahweh, the one true God who is with us and for us.

1 comment:

  1. "YES!"
    Eric, I love this post.
    Our hearts are being changed from where they were at in hearing the first sermon. We're learning about the heart of God and the law is being transformed into a relationship. The commandments emerge out of God's character and enhance our character. They emerge out of God's love and love's desire for our freedom to live fully human lives. I feel more human than I ever have and it feels great.

    ReplyDelete