DISCIPLESHIP 101

This blog is designed to be a place where we can encourage and challenge one another as we follow the risen Lord Jesus together!

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Kick Butt Stuff!

If God kicks butt, and Jesus kicks butt, that means the Spirit kicks butt too...you put those three together and you have SOME KICK BUTT STUFF! Now i know an early 90's movie reference is a little "out-there" for some of you but Chris Farley got it! The last 2 chapters of Simply Christian have "Kicked Butt". God's breath of life might be my favorite chapter yet. Page 122 - "Many of the questions we ask God can't be answered directly, not because God doesnt know the answer but because our question doesnt make sense"!!!!!! Man did that perspective ever help me. We ask questions like is yellow round or square? How many hours in a mile? What do you want me to do with MY LIFE? All of those questions dont make sense! ENTER THE SPIRIT! "But the point of the spirit is to enable those who follow Jesus to take into all the world the news that He is Lord, that He has won the victory over the forces of evil, that a new world has opened up, and that we are to help make it happen". The Spirit comes and dunks and drenches (Baptizes) us with Himself and enables us to go out into this world. I am coming more and more to believe that the Spirit gives us 3 things. A towel, A basin, And a cross! "GO" says the Spirit - not by power, not by might, but by my Spirit says the Lord! Power = Towel, Might = Basin, His Spirit = Cross!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the butt kickin' Reid. Your post brought to mind this scripture:

    For your equation I've added the following:
    Cross = Spirit + Power + Wisdom. (Power, wisdom, and cross are highlighted in the passage below.)

    I Corinthians 1:23-25 - but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, 24 but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. 25 For the foolishness of God is wiser than man’s wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man’s strength.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Chris Farley reference is fantastic
    2. N.T. Wright is on-a-roll and I am so pumped for what he says about worship and prayer for tomorrow and Monday!
    3. My mind pretty much exploded in contemplating the questions I ask God and how little sense they could make.
    4. I am blessed by the basin, towel, cross idea. I have no thoughts on it, but as I leave to a dinner, I hope to keep thinking about the simplicity and beauty of it, so thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete