DISCIPLESHIP 101

This blog is designed to be a place where we can encourage and challenge one another as we follow the risen Lord Jesus together!

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Last Days, Part 2: People of God

To those of you who don't even know I've been posting on this blog, thank you, because the blog entries you wrote down helped me out a lot. To those who've been keeping up with me and posting their commentary on what I've written, thank you, it was great having the community to reflect my thoughts and offer input. And thank you, Mike, Alyssa, Pearl, and Zach, for those occasions where we could just sit down and talk about what I learned and fill out the empty spaces in my head. God's blessed me through you all.

I love how the last chapter of Simply Christian brings much of what God has revealed to me through this study full circle! The Cross was where God's wrath was appeased and death was beaten, so let's live in the victory! We must renounce and rediscover, and need God's help to do even that, asked for every day with those beautiful 57 Words. Healing, restorative justice was set as the standard by the Prodigal Father. Let us let go of our anger before the sun sets, and fulfill ourselves not on lust, because the laws the Father has set down will enhance and protect the freedom he has given us in his blood.

So much good truth! And the best part is that heaven is overlapping earth and keeps touching through, aching to be one. It'll be the most awesome thing ever when they finally meet---God makes only beautiful things in the first place, so I can't wait to see everything in restored AND resurrected form. I think I took the title of this blog for granted before---now the full implications of those four words hit hard.

This spring break, I've made a point of going to see how some of my old high school friends have been doing---and through them, how most of my other graduating class of '07 members are doing. Most of what I've heard is not good---broken dreams, lost opportunities, abandoning all thoughts of goals or things to live for: it all just breaks my heart so much. So many are in need; so many that need to know true love! I can never forget what NT says about the advent of the Kingdom: "If Jesus has been raised, that means that God's new world, God's kingdom, has indeed arrived; and that means we have a job to do."

A job? If there's one truth I'm glad I've realized in the span of the last three months, it's that God has graciously given us the opportunity of holding the best job ever. The Holy Spirit of God brings heaven and earth together within us so that we now become outward and visible signs of an inward and spiritual grace - and the means of God's grace for others. That is to say, sacramental vessels of God's love to the people of the world. Living for the Kingdom means not holing myself up in the castle, but appearing on the front lines so that Jesus the Head can show himself in all his glory through wiggling Ben the Pinky Finger.

This pinky finger has heard the neurons firing...which means all I can do is think and act like I have. And the best part of it is, I'll probably mess up often, and ignore or distort the call...or hit a wall of isolation and persecution. But in times like the former, God's power is made perfect in my imperfect pool of weakness; in times like the latter, God will give me the strength to go on, his glory being reflected, as being beaten on in tough situations is where we represent Christ best.


Forgive me for plugging in one last song, but it's all I can think of after these recollections of this study.

Gungor---People of God

We could have tongues of angels
We could move mountains with our faith
We could give everything away
But if we don't have love
We're left with nothing

We could see blind eyes opened
Know all the mysteries of our faith
We could sing all the highest praise
But if we don't have love
We're left with nothing

People of God rise up
Rise up and shine God's love
We are the light of the world
Of the world, oh
We are the light of the world
Of the world, oh

Love is what holds it all together
Love never fails, it never dies
There is no deeper truth
We know God is love, our God is love

People of God rise up
Rise up and shine God's love
We are the light of the world
Of the world, oh
We are the light of the world
Of the world, oh

Tear down the walls that divide us
Let love rebuild and unite us
All we need is, all we need is love

People of God rise up
Rise up and shine God's love
We are the light of the world
Of the world

People of God rise up
Rise up and shine God's love
We are the light of the world
Of the world
We are the light of the world
Of the world

We are the light of the world





"Come Lord Jesus Come...as the sun rises, let me miss not one opportunity you put before me, till the time you fully shine over all the Earth."

No comments:

Post a Comment