DISCIPLESHIP 101

This blog is designed to be a place where we can encourage and challenge one another as we follow the risen Lord Jesus together!

Monday, March 14, 2011

Labor Pains; The Psalms As Prayer

The "Prayer" chapter in Simply Christian was a good reminder for me how important one's attitude and focus is when praying to God. For example, fussing over what words to use and thinking of possible earthly means God can answer my prayer are bad habits of mine; both are a sign that I've lost focused before the prayer has even begun. When I do things like that, I'm directing my prayer not to God but to a "slot machine God" Donald Miller describes in Blue Like Jazz: unfeeling, separated, and based on chance.......kind of like Deism/Option Two.

I forget many times that though I ask God to meet my needs through prayer, the focus should always be on him---the fact that he's not a indifferent machine, but a God who lives and feels, who loves me and wants what's best for me, merciful and powerful enough to answer what I ask for. That my prayer is not to be just a cry for help but a commitment to his Way. That if the commitment to abide is there, the answer will come naturally: less precious minutes spent in anxiety and more in trust and comfort. Then all the pain I currently feel will be forgotten, replaced by the good kind of pain---labor pains. You can't escape pain in this broken world, but the context in which it is inflicted matters. Of course---as NT says, where heaven and earth overlap, there's not just pain to be found, but great joy at sharing the glory the coming kingdom.


On a cool note, I found the different paths of prayer segment interesting. I was reminded of how I once read over a study of how to pray the Psalms as a way of heartfelt prayer. No wonder---Psalms covers every emotion and issues all we humans go through. Using Psalms as a prayer, I can:

Fight against shallowness so as to focus on God and my need for him ("Out of the depths I cry to you, LORD; Lord, hear my voice. Let your ears be attentive to my cry for mercy." 130:1-2).

Be honest about where I am with him and what I think, so I can surrender who I truly am ("I am like the deaf, who cannot hear, like the mute, who cannot speak; I have become like one who does not hear, whose mouth can offer no reply." 38:13-14).

Draw my heart to center on him so he may build me up ( "Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me". 51:10 )

Exalt in what he's done for me past, present, future, and extend to him the praise I so often forget to give in my prayers ("The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him." 28:7)

And these are just the examples. Just go through the Psalms and see how much of it can apply to our daily prayer. It's the coolest gift ever---just like everything else he has taught us in the Word!

3 comments:

  1. Ben, I love your list of "I can"-s! I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me, including pray openly to my Creator concerning all of the above. Keep bringing the truth brother, so encouraging to see where He is leading you and how that is movIng me in the process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, Ben, thanks for the post man. This is literally something I was praying and thinking about during my quiet time. At UCC, pastor Jamie is teaching on the Psalms. Just yesterday he preached on prayer through psalms: psalms of thanksgiving, psalms of penitence, and psalms of enthronement.

    It's so cool how what you read lines up with that and gives me more to feed on. Thanks bro!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "That my prayer is not to be just a cry for help but a commitment to his Way. That if the commitment to abide is there, the answer will come naturally: less precious minutes spent in anxiety and more in trust and comfort."

    So good. I'm constantly reminded of the Mother Theresa quote: prayer expands our capacity to receive. So often my prayers are a case of first and second things. I'm praying for all the things that flow naturally out of committing to His way and allowing His will to guide and direct my life. Out of our commitment to abide we find the comfort and peace we were just praying for.

    ReplyDelete